Tuesday 17 July 2012

The 'What If' worry

I think I've reached the point in my life where the most important question is "What do you want to do with the rest of your life?". I could tell you what I dream to be, a doctor, but I see no point in advertising that. From the freshman year of college until my last year at medical school, my life could turn in so many ways, assuming I get accepted, of course.
I think I'm the type of person who hates being embarrassed, for something that requires ambition, focus, a lot of coffee, and 8 years of your life, who knows if I'm able to achieve that dream? When people ask me what I want to do with my life, I usually tell them the generic "Whatever, I guess".
I should be proud that I'm willing to be going through a very academically rigorous lifestyle for the next few years, but I am the worst critic of myself, what if I don't get in?

The 'What If':
'What ifs' are a very big part of my life, I remember trying out for my Varsity Soccer team in High School, absolutely TERRIFIED that I wouldn't get in by the time try outs rolled around... 5 months before they actually happened.
I'm a worrier, guys, I get that from my Mom. Honestly, I got so worried about not getting on the soccer team that I cried... Multiple times. What I have learned from my worry is that it makes me try so much harder to achieve it. I did make the soccer team, and in the end, my worry made a serious, positive impact on my life.


The difference between 'What ifs' is how YOU make it impact your life. In my case, my what if worry made me work even harder for my goal. How do you want it to impact your life? Positively or negatively. The wonderful thing is: You can choose how it affects you.

Do you want to be a Vet? Want to be a Chemist? How about an Aeronautical Engineer? A Sea World dolphin trainer?

You can choose!
But don't let your what ifs get the best of your worries.
If you have a goal, you have to work hard to achieve it. However, don't be afraid if your life doesn't turn out to be what you expect it to be. That is the beautiful thing. If you love what you do, you'll never be unhappy.

Thanks for reading!





1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! Your what if's will eventually drive you to a head full of white hair, watch out. Haha.

    ReplyDelete